Air Fryer Pasta Chips – Pasta chips are the newest TikTok hit, created with cooked pasta mixed with olive oil, parmesan cheese, and seasonings before being air fried till crispy! They come out so crispy that they’re great for dipping in your favorite sauce for a fun appetizer idea! I was initially hesitant and apprehensive about trying them. I mean, it seems wrong to convert pasta into chips, doesn’t it? I couldn’t resist since they looked so wonderful, and I’m so glad I did! They came out crispy and crunchy, just like potato chips. This dish takes only 10 minutes to prepare and cook in an air fryer. I’ve also cooked a batch in the oven for those who don’t have an air fryer. Crispy carb fans won’t want to miss out on this quick and simple recipe, which can be made in the oven or air fryer.
Air Fryer Pasta:
The newest TikTok fad sweeping the internet features a fan-favorite for almost everyone: pasta! (Who doesn’t love carbs?) With pasta chips, you can elevate the traditional pantry staple to crispy nirvana without even needing a skillet. Yes, people are air-frying their pasta. What was the ultimate result? Crispy, cheesy, bite-sized treats that may become your new passion. “Air fryer pasta chips are the perfect small snack for after work or for visitors,” says the author. Boil the pasta, then add the grated parmesan, olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 7 minutes in the air fryer, flipping after 5 minutes. They’re golden brown and crunchy.”
What Exactly Are Pasta Chips?
Pasta chips are golden brown “chips” made from deep fried pasta. You can cook these in the air fryer, making them a great quick snack when you want something warm and crispy. Any sort of pasta will do, but larger forms that can be picked up and dipped work best. Even though pasta chips are popular right now, they’ve been around for a while. Crispy crispy pasta chips have been around since at least 2013. I remember seeing them on this crazy beautiful food/fashion blog, and after reading that piece, I was dying to taste crispy penne.
- Short pasta should be used, and the form should be able to scoop up the sauce. Farfalle (bow tie pasta) was used in this dish, although shells, rigatoni, or even fusilli pasta would also work. Gluten-free and pulse pasta are also excellent choices.
- Olive oil is my favorite oil, but you can also use avocado oil or your chosen oil.
- Oregano adds a lovely scent and herb flavor.
- Garlic powder for all my fellow garlic fans.
- Everything tastes better with Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (parmesan cheese)! Alternatively, nutritional yeast may be used to produce a vegan alternative.
- Chili flakes (optional) for that extra kick
How To Make Air Fryer Pasta Chips?
- Cook the pasta until it is al dente in a saucepan of highly salted water.
- Drain the pasta and return it to the saucepan or a big mixing dish.
- Combine the olive oil, parmesan cheese, and seasonings in a mixing bowl.
- To ensure that the pasta is covered with the oil, cheese, and seasonings, toss everything together thoroughly.
- Shake the basket a couple times while air frying until brown and crispy.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving after removing from the air fryer.
Tips And Tricks:
- Cook the pasta until it is al dente. Because the pasta will continue to cook in the air fryer, do not totally cook it and err on the side of al dente.
- Don’t overdo it with the oil. The great thing about these air fryer spaghetti chips is that they don’t require a lot of oil. 1 teaspoon or up to 1 tablespoon would suffice to make them wonderfully crispy!
- Cooking the pasta in batches is a good idea. You may need to split the pasta into two batches depending on the size of the air fryer basket to avoid overcrowding, which can influence the outcome.
- Shake the air fryer basket a few times to distribute the oil. While the pasta chips are heating, shake the basket to allow all of the surface regions to crisp up.
How To Prepare Pasta Chips In The Oven?
Pasta chips are simple to make in the oven, with the only difference being that they take longer to bake than air fryers.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F
- Spread the cooked pasta in a single layer.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until they’re deep-golden brown.
Seasonings For Pasta Chips:
- Salt and pepper: season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne
- Garlic powder, onion powder, ginger powder
- Dried basil, dried oregano, dried parsley, dried thyme, garlic powder
- Buttermilk powder, dried parsley, dried dill, and onion powder
- BBQ: 1 tsp each smoked paprika, onion powder, brown sugar, and garlic powder
- Sour cream and onion: 1 tsp each buttermilk powder, onion powder, and garlic powder
- Everything bagel: 1 tablespoon everything bagel spice
What Kind Of Dip Should I Serve With The Pasta Chips?
- Whipped ricotta – I am a huge fan of whipped ricotta. SO fluffy, SO creamy, and the BEST dip, especially when paired with crunchies. In a food processor, combine 3/4 cup whole milk ricotta and mix until extremely smooth and creamy. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper. It’s much better with some roasted tomatoes on top.
- Tomato sauce — I have a fantastic recipe for pizza-style tomato sauce that would be ideal for dipping here. You may also heat up some of your favorite canned sauce.
- Pesto – Pesto and crunchy pasta chips are a marriage made in heaven
- Bolognese – A tiny amount of meaty, delicious Bolognese
- Ranch – Homemade ranch is far superior to shop purchased ranch, but store bought ranch is still quite tasty.
What Type Of Pasta Can I Use To Make Pasta Chips?
You may use any big spaghetti that you can grasp onto and scoop with. Here are some suggestions:
- Bow ties/Farfalle
- And any other unusual forms you come across, such as this trottole
What Happens If I Don’t Have An Air Fryer? Is It Okay If I Bake Them?
You may bake the pasta chips at 400°F for 20-25 minutes if you have a convection oven. They will not be as sharp, but they will still work.
Should I Deep Fried Pasta?
Yes, whether you want to use a deep fryer or just make spaghetti chips in a saucepan with oil, you can. Cook, drain thoroughly, mix with seasoning, and then lightly fried in high oil for 1-2 minutes, or until brown and crisp.
Is Gluten-Free Pasta An Option?
Yes, you may use gluten-free pasta for this. Just be sure to boil the pasta al dente so it doesn’t become too soft.
Is It Possible To Get Vegan Pasta Chips?
You can simply turn them vegan by ensuring that the pasta you use does not include any eggs (most pasta is generally prepared with only flour and water) and that the ingredients you use, like as herbs, spices, and nutritional yeast, are vegan.
Can I Make Them Without The Parmesan?
Absolutely! If you like the idea of this crispy snack but don’t want to go the Parmesan way, leave out the cheese and personalize them with your favorite herbs and spices. From Ranch to barbeque to chipotle, the possibilities are literally limitless. Simply combine the dry spices with the olive oil.
What Should I Serve With Pasta Chips?
- They go well with dips!
- They can also be served with a charcuterie platter.
- accompanied by handmade garlic knots
- Baked feta spaghetti is another TikTok favorite.
What Is The Greatest Pasta Form To Use?
Consider utilizing anything with a large or thick surface area that is simple to grip, such as a potato chip. Rigatoni, bowtie pasta, and penne pasta are all popular choices.
Is The Excitement Around Pasta Chips Justified?
YES! On Google, I saw two conflicting headlines right next to one other. One person believes that spaghetti chips are worthwhile, whereas another believes that they are not. They are delightfully crispy, in my opinion, and well worth the hype. It’s always fun to try new ways to use food, and if you like the crispy edges of baked spaghetti, you’ll adore pasta chips. Mike and I ate the first batch in record time. Mike was first hesitant, but he like the crunch and taste. It’s a fun and quick snack, and the flavors are endless. So far, my favorite batch has been Tajin garlic parmesan, which I used to scoop up creamy avocado crema.
MORE DELICIOIUS RECIPES HERE:
- Pasta Chips:
- 8 oz. rigatoni pasta
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 tbsp. Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Kosher salt
- black pepper, freshly ground
- Whipped Feta Dip:
- 4 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 oz. Greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
Bring a big saucepan of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta until al dente according to package guidelines, then drain.
Toss the pasta in a bowl with the olive oil, parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
Air fry at 400°F for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Prepare the Dip. In a food processor, pulse crumbled feta to make tiny crumbs. Blend in the Greek yogurt, garlic, and olive oil until the feta is creamy, about 4-5 minutes, scraping down the sides as needed.
With the whipped feta dip, serve the pasta chips.
Storage: The pasta chips are best eaten right away, but they may be kept in the fridge for up to 5 days. Store in an airtight jar at room temperature.
Pasta Chips Baked in the Oven
Place the pasta on a baking sheet or parchment paper-lined baking pan.
Spread the spaghetti out so that it does not overlap or touch.
Bake at 200°C/400°F for 17 - 20 minutes (depending on oven strength) or until golden brown.
Serve with your preferred sauce, which may be a Napolitano sauce, pesto, or even hummus!