Greek Chicken Gyros Recipe- The chicken marinade for this Greek Chicken Gyros dish is SO DELICIOUS that I use it even when I’m not cooking Gyros. This marinade is prepared with yoghurt, lemon, garlic, and oregano — traditional Greek spices that infuse flavor into the chicken while also tenderizing it. When this is cooking, the scent is out of this world! You may marinade the chicken ahead of time and make your own tzatziki! So quick and so effective! The tzatziki sauce may be made ahead of time and let to marinate in the fridge, growing better and better as it sits. Yogurt-marinated chicken tenders bursting with flavor from warm spices, stuffed inside a pita wrap with handmade tzatziki sauce and all the toppings you like! This Greek chicken may be prepared in a skillet or pan, on an outside barbecue, or baked in the oven.
Greek Chicken Gyros Recipe:
Super delicious chicken breast tenders brimming with all of our favorite vibrant Greek spices. Warm up some pita to hold the chicken, then add some tzatziki sauce, vegetables, and olives to make your chicken gyros!
One of my favorite things about this chicken gyro dish is how quickly it comes together, making it a nutritious supper any night of the week. And, no, you are not required to light the grill, but you may do so if you like. However, you may simply cook the chicken in a pan or bake it in the oven.
Why Does This Recipe Work?
- Simple — These gyros put together quickly and are perfect for a family meal. If you don’t like onions, leave them out; if you like feta cheese (bless your heart, pal), pile it on.
- Great introduction to Mediterranean cuisine — If you enjoy Mediterranean cuisine, you’ll adore this healthy gyro. If you’re new to the cuisine, awe is an excellent place to begin. With just one mouthful, you’ll be a convert for life!
- Meal prep – This chicken easily doubles in size. Keep all of the ingredients separate and use them as needed during the week for a simple, flavorful, and nutritious dinner. These nutritious gyros are fantastic for supper, but they’re also a great on-the-go lunch alternative for work!
- Healthy – If you’re looking for something yummy but also healthy, these simple gyros can’t be better. The chicken is strong in protein and low in saturated fat, the Mediterranean spice provides taste without adding calories, and the red pepper and onions provide antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. Serve with lettuce, tomato, and tzatziki sauce on the side.
- pita bread – I prefer to make my own quick and easy pita bread, but store bought pitas also work nicely. If you can locate one that is thicker, go for it. You may also use naan bread or any other thick flatbread.
- 2 big chicken breasts sliced into 1.5-inch chunks
- Marinade for chicken souvlaki – prepared with olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, parsley, oregano, mint, bay leaves, salt, and pepper.
- Tzatziki sauce is a Greek yogurt-based sauce prepared with cucumber, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, dill, salt, and pepper.
- lettuce romaine
- tomatoes in grapes
- onion, red
- the feta cheese
- seasoning with salt and pepper
Skewers, grilling tongs, and an indoor grill pan are also required (if you are not using an outdoor grill).
Greek Chicken Marinade For Gyros:
The marinade is the starting point for these chicken gyros. A simple and flexible Greek chicken marinade that may be used on a daily basis even if you aren’t cooking chicken gyros. This is a yogurt marinade with fresh minced garlic and a few warming spices (oregano, paprika, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper, cayenne if you like heat). A little fresh lemon juice and white vinegar provide ample citrus taste, and a generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil completes the dish.
What role does yogurt play in this marinade? Yogurt’s lactic acid and calcium gradually break down the protein in chicken breast tenders, making them more delicious and tender. You’ll also see a bit of a crust around this chicken, which is caused by the yogurt!
My recommendation here is to marinade the chicken for at least 30 minutes before you’re ready to cook it (you can marinate the chicken overnight for even more flavor.)
Ingredients For Tzatziki Sauce:
- Greek Yogurt: Use plain Greek yogurt rather than flavored.
- Cucumber: Before grating, peel the cucumber.
- Garlic: The best garlic is fresh garlic.
- White Vinegar: Adds a pleasant zing without turning the sauce color.
- Dried Dill: Dried dill weed is an important spice for tzatziki.
- Oregano is a traditional spice in Greek cookery.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Lemon: Counteracts the vinegar.
- Olive oil: Aids in the binding of the components and the creation of a creamy texture.
How To Make Greek Chicken Gyros Recipe?
- Make the marinade. In a Ziploc bag, combine all of the ingredients for the chicken souvlaki marinade. To mix the marinade, press it around. Add the chopped chicken to the bag, squeeze the air out, and close firmly. To coat the chicken, press the marinade around it. Place in the fridge for at least 1 minute or overnight to marinate.
- To make the tzatziki sauce, combine all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Drain the cucumber using a cheesecloth, fine mesh strainer, or your hands. Place the drained cucumber in a medium mixing basin. Combine the yogurt, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, dill, salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl. To mix, stir everything together. Refrigerate the yogurt for at least 1 hour before serving to allow the flavors to permeate.
- Prepare the garnishes. Toss the toppings together in a medium mixing basin.
- Cook the chicken on the grill. Grill the chicken by threading it onto skewers or by grilling individual pieces. Brush the grill pan lightly with olive oil. Heat the grill for about 5 minutes on medium high heat, or until sizzling hot. Cook the chicken for 7 minutes on each side, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit (75 °C).
- Assemble the pita breads. Grill the pitas for about 1-2 minutes per side. Then, in the center of each pita bread, place a few spoonfuls of the salad toppings in a line. Grilled souvlaki chicken with a heaping spoonful of tzatziki sauce on top. Fold the pita in half and serve. To keep the ingredients within, cover it in parchment paper and twist the bottom.
Tips And Tricks:
- You will enjoy all of the dressings and sauces, you’re in for a treat. My tzatziki sauce goes perfectly with these healthy gyros. Furthermore, if you enjoy red pepper but prefer it in a sauce, try this variation.
- To cook the chicken ahead of time, leave the breasts whole in the fridge and slice them when you’re ready to eat them (after warming) to keep them as moist as possible.
- Consider marinating the chicken for 2-3 hours for juicier results (or overnight). Try out this simple chicken marinade. Skip the vinegar and mustard, and if you have it, replace the Italian spice with Mediterranean seasoning.
- If you like the taste of grilled chicken, grill the chicken breasts for 6-10 minutes each side over medium heat, depending on the thickness of the chicken.
- The chicken may be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months in an airtight container/Zip lock bag. Thaw and/or reheat the chicken in the microwave for 1 minute increments until cooked thoroughly.
Can I Cook The Chicken On The Grill Or In The Oven Instead?
You may certainly use an outside grill for these chicken gyros, or you can bake the chicken if necessary:
- Intended for use with an outside barbecue. Grill chicken tenders for about 5 minutes on one side over medium heat, then flip and grill for another 4 to 5 minutes, or until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Before putting the chicken on the grill, gently oil the grill grates and brush off any extra marinade.
- For the oven. Preheat the oven to 375°F for baking. Remove the chicken tenders from the marinade and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 20 minutes or until done in a preheated oven.
How To Make Greek Chicken Gyros At Home?
I usually serve these pitas covered in parchment paper to keep the filling inside. Secure it with an elastic band and twist the bottom together to keep the tzatziki sauce from dripping out.
Is It Possible To Marinate The Chicken Overnight?
Phi suggests marinating the chicken for 20 minutes to an hour, but I let my marinate overnight and it tasted perfectly great. The chicken wasn’t tough and had plenty of flavor!
Can I Use Chicken Thighs Or Breasts?
Yes, if you have another cut of chicken on hand, you can use it. Just keep in mind that chicken breasts and thighs will take longer to cook than chicken tenders, so adjust your cooking time accordingly.
Can I Make These Gyro Sandwiches Ahead Of Time?
If you want to make this chicken gyro dish ahead of time, I recommend preparing the separate components and assembling the gyro sandwiches right before serving. The homemade tzatziki sauce may be stored in the fridge for up to three days.
What To Serve As a Side Dish?
Because there’s a good quantity of tomato and cucumber stuffed within, I serve Greek Chicken Gyros as a complete dinner.
A big huge juicy Greek Salad would be fantastically in topic if you wanted to enhance the fresh vegetables! Try this Greek Lemon Orzo Salad for something more substantial, especially if you’re cooking Gyros for a crowd.
And, while not strictly a Greek salad, this Cucumber Salad with Garlic & Herb Dressing OR this Creamy Cucumber Salad with Lemon Yogurt Dressing will go nicely with these Gyros.
If you truly want to wow your guests, cook Gyros using your own handmade flatbread wraps. They’re simple to make and don’t require yeast!!
MORE DELICIOIUS RECIPES HERE:
- 1 kilogram boneless skinless chicken thigh fillets
- 3 minced big garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 2 cucumbers (to yield approximately 1/2 - 3/4 cup grated cucumber after squeezing off liquid)
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 3 deseeded and chopped tomatoes
- 3 diced cucumbers
- 1/2 peeled and coarsely chopped red Spanish onion
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- seasoned with salt & pepper
- To Be Served:
- 4–6 pita loaves or flatbreads
In a zip lock bag, combine the Marinade ingredients and massage to combine. Place the chicken in the zip lock bag and massage to coat it completely in the marinade. Marinate for at least 2 hours, preferably 3 hours, preferably 12 hours, but no more than 24 hours.
Prepare The Tzatziki:
Cucumber should be cut in half lengthwise. Scrape out the liquid seeds with a teaspoon. Using a box grater, coarsely shred the cucumber. Wrap in paper towels or a tea towel, then compress to remove excess liquid.
Cucumber should be placed in a bowl. Combine the remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl.
Allow at least 20 minutes for the flavors to mingle.
In a mixing dish, combine all of the ingredients.
Cook The Chicken:
Preheat the outside grill on medium high after brushing it with oil. Alternatively, heat 1 tbsp. oil in a fry pan over medium-high heat.
Remove the chicken from the marinade. Cook the chicken for 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until golden brown and well done (cooking time depends on size of chicken).
Place the chicken on a dish after removing it from the grill or fry pan. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving, covered loosely with foil.
Assemble The Gyros:
If you have big chicken thighs, you may need to chop them. Mine were rather tiny.
Place a pita or flatbread (ideally warmed) on a piece of parchment (baking) paper (or you could use foil). Place some Salad in the center of the bread, followed by the chicken and Tzatziki.
Wrap the wrap with parchment paper and roll it up. Twist the end of the parchment paper to bind it, then cut if necessary.
I prefer to put everything on a table and let people serve themselves.
Uncooked chicken can be frozen in the marinade. Once thawed, massage thoroughly to eliminate curdling before cooking according to the instructions!
Cooked chicken will stay in the fridge for 4 days.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 2508Total Fat 35gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 24gCholesterol 306mgSodium 5013mgCarbohydrates 413gFiber 19gSugar 17gProtein 131g