Middle Eastern Lentil Soup – flavorful middle eastern lentil soup recipe made easy with simple ingredients, powerful spices, red lentils, and homemade vegetable stock! This quick and easy recipe originated in the middle eastern countries and it’s very popular among people living in that area of the globe.Usually red lentils are used in this lentil soup recipe as they disintegrate more easily than the regular lentil.
It’s a creamy blended soup that’s really simple to create, with only 6 ingredients. And, despite the fact that it’s quite creamy, there’s no cream in sight. It’s filling, nutritious, and incredibly gratifying. And, because each bowl has a substantial quantity of protein, it may easily be served as a main meal rather than just an appetizer. Check out our really excellent lentil curry if you like quick lentil dishes.
Firstly a lentil soup is a soup based on lentils, it may contain meat also, and may use for example brown, yellow, red, or even black lentils.But the red lentils are more common because they tend to disintegrate more easily in cooking.
This lentil soup is so easy to make with few ingredients and only requires 30 minutes to cook.First the vegetables list ( onion, carrots, coriander ), then the spice mix ( cumin, coriander spice, turmeric, salt and pepper ) and finally the red lentils rinsed with water. Lentil soup may include vegetables such as carrots, potatoes, celery, parsley, tomato, pumpkin, ripe plantain and onion. Common flavorings are garlic, bay leaf, cumin, olive oil, and vinegar.Sometimes it is garnished with croutons, chopped herbs, olive oil, butter, or even yogurt.
There is also an Indian lentil soup that contains a huge variety of aromatic spices. The middle eastern version contains lemon juice that cuts the heaviness of the soup and it is commonly consumed during the winter season.
How to make Middle Eastern Lentil Soup
The recipe card at the bottom of the post always has complete directions and measurements. Along with the process photographs, below is a synopsis of the procedure.
- In a saucepan, combine the peeled and sliced onion, olive oil, and cumin, and cook until the onions are softened.
- Toss in some chopped carrots along with the onions.
- Toss in a handful of dried red lentils with the carrots and onions.
- Add in some veggie stock and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil, then lower to a low heat, cover, and cook until the lentils are soft and cooked (stirring periodically).
- Remove the soup from the heat and puree it with an immersion blender. If you don’t have an immersion blender, let it cool for a few minutes before moving it to a standard blender jug in batches, blending it, and then returning it all to the saucepan.
Your soup is now ready to be served.
Most importantly lentil soups are highly nutritious and a good source of different aliments for example: proteins, fibers, iron, and potassium.
WHY IS THIS LENTIL SOUP SO DELICIOUS?
This soup is one of our favorites, and it’s easy to make. It’s as follows:
- Veganism is a way of life
- Simple to prepare
- Made using commonplace components
Is lentil soup good for your health!
if you want a short answer Lentil soup is good for your health, that are nutritious rich in vitamins minerals protein and they are low in fat. The added value is that they are low in calories.
The red lentils comes in different varieties. green lentils have stronger flavor than the red ones but the red lentils disintegrate more easily than other types of lentils, which makes it perfect for this type of recipe where we need to mix all the components at the end of the cooking process. Red lentils can be cooked alone with only vegetables like here or with chicken.
SUGGESTIONS FOR MAKING THE BEST LENTIL SOUP
This dish may be made with red lentils (which seem to be orange) or yellow lentils. Both types of lentils are little split lentils with a very soft feel when cooked, as the name implies. As a result, they’re great for this soup dish.
Stir the lentil soup a few times while it’s cooking to avoid the lentils scorching or adhering to the pot, which can happen. If you want a thinner consistency, you can gradually add additional water while stirring. Keep in mind that while the soup cooks, it will thicken, especially the next day.
Before adding the lentils, rice, and spices, sauté the onions to bring out the flavor of the dish. If you’re in a hurry, you may dump everything into a pot at the same time and bring it all to a boil at the same time.
If you like, brown rice can be substituted for white rice. If you’re using brown rice, make sure to leave enough time for the rice to fluff up. For the optimum uniformity, use short grain if at all feasible.
- 2 Cups red lentils
- 2 carrots pealed
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander spice
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp harissa
- First in a soup pot heat the olive oil. Add the chopped onion, carrots, and the garlic. Let it cook for about 5 min or so.
- Second add your spice mix ( turmeric, cumin, salt, black pepper, coriander) and mix everything.
- Add the red lentils and the hot vegetable stock and put the temp on high. then add the harissa paste or the tomato paste, i like mine hot so i added the harissa.
- Reduce the heat on medium and let it simmer for 30 minutes ( or until the soup thickens ).
- Finally mix everything with your hand blender and serve hot.
CAN YOU MAKE THIS SOUP WITH GREEN LENTILS?
Green lentils have a firmer consistency than red lentils, therefore I wouldn't advocate using them. When red lentils are cooked, they become crushed, which is the core of the crushed lentil soup. If you use green lentils, you'll lose that flavor. Instead, try my Green Lentil Soup, which is similar but substitutes kale for rice.
CAN LENTIL SOUP BE FREEZED?
Yes, this soup freezes well and tastes delicious. Before freezing the soup, make sure it has totally cooled. It's simpler to reheat the soup as required if you freeze it in smaller serving quantities rather than the full batch. Reheat the soup on the stovetop or in the microwave, adding more water if it thickens too much.
Nutrition InformationServing Size 6
Amount Per Serving Calories 207Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 3gSodium 217mgCarbohydrates 28gFiber 14gSugar 1gProtein 12g