One Pot Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta- with grilled tomatoes, powerful mix of spices and “herbes de provence” is the perfect dish for pretty much anything!
This recipe is absolutely incredible, rich and flavorful at the same time! The cajun chicken pasta is made from chicken breasts, pasta, grilled tomatoes, spices ( smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, thyme, oregano, garlic powder,…etc) and i’ve added some herbs to the mix!
Cajun Chicken Pasta in a Single Pot! Chicken, pasta, and vegetables are coated in a creamy cajun-seasoned sauce. So delectable!
One Pot Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta:
Firstly when it comes to making a pasta dish, i’m always available for it! in other words i’m a pasta nerd! Why ? because i loooove pasta! that’s why.It’s my comfort food and what makes me happy and draw a smile on my face! but this recipe is not only dedicated to pasta it’s a dish packed with chicken, cheese, and a powerful mix of cajun seasoning.
The first thing you’ll notice when you start making this dish is the incredible smell that comes out of! emmmm, So yummy! you can’t wait to finish it so you can dive into it!
What is great about this recipe is that you can pretty much use what ever pasta shape you’d like to use! For example: macaroni, rigatoni, penne, fettuccine, and so on! In conclusion there is no right or wrong about what should be or not in a cajun chicken pasta recipe, you can add your very own twist to it and it’s totally fine!
cajun spice mix or cajun seasoning is a mix of super flavorful spices originated from Acadians living in Louisiana, such as the onion powder, garlic powder, salt, oregano, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and the smoked paprika! it is commonly used in chicken, seafood, soups, veggies, it’s kind of a spice mix that just go well with everything!
What you’ll need to make this Creamy cajun chicken pasta. To make this incredible recipe you’ll need:
- pasta ( your favorite one ) i used maccheroni
- extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh chicken breasts
- The cajun seasoning
- fresh parsley
- cream cheese
- parmesan cheese
and if you want to make your own cajun spice mix here is what you’ll need:
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- cayenne pepper
- black pepper
- smoked paprika
- dried oregano
- dried thyme
One Pot Creamy Cajun Chicken Alfredo Recipe:
Looking for a quick and easy dinner recipe? This One Pot Creamy Cajun Chicken Alfredo is ideal for the whole family! It’s loaded with flavor and vegetables that will keep you full all night (or day)! One-pot dinners are my favorite type of meal to prepare! It means only one dish to clean (possibly a cutting board as well), and they’re usually low maintenance, so you don’t have to babysit the pot or follow a long list of instructions. Who, let’s be honest, has time for that?
How To Make One Pot Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta?
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Toss chicken with 1/2 teaspoon cajun seasoning before adding to pot. Place in a single layer in the pot.
- Cook until browned on the bottom, about 3 minutes, then turn and continue to cook through, about 3 minutes longer.
- Wrap in a sheet of foil to keep warm.
- Heat the remaining 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in the same pot over medium-high heat to sauté the vegetables. Sauté the bell peppers and onion for 3 minutes. Sauté for 1 minute more after adding the garlic and remaining 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning.
- Boil the liquids before adding the pasta: Combine the chicken broth, tomatoes, and 1/2 cup heavy cream in a mixing bowl. Bring the mixture to a boil before adding the pasta.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until pasta is nearly tender, about 12 – 13 minutes. Cook, stirring constantly, until the pasta is just tender and the sauce has thickened, about 1 minute more.
- Serve with the remaining ingredients: Turn off the heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste and toss in the remaining 1/4 cup cream, parmesan, parsley, and cooked chicken. Serve hot.
Tips And Tricks:
- If you overcook the chicken, it will become dry. Simply cook until the center temperature reaches 165°F.
- Cook pasta until it is al dente. It will continue to soften slightly once removed from the heat.
I recommend making your own cajun seasoning so you can control the saltiness and heat level.
- If you use a different brand of pasta, keep in mind that the amount of liquid required and the cooking time may vary slightly.
Variations And Suggestions:
- Use another protein, such as shrimp (which requires only about 1.5 minutes per side) or andouille sausage.
- Make it vegetarian by substituting more vegetables for the chicken. Zucchini, corn, mushrooms, spinach, thinly sliced carrots, and other vegetables are all good choices.
- Try 3 oz of softened diced cream cheese at the end in place of the last 1/4 cup cream for a tangy flavor. If you go this route, cut the cornstarch in half.
- If you don’t have fire-roasted tomatoes, use diced tomatoes with mild green chilies instead.
Other vegetables that can be added or swapped:
- Mushrooms – Add chopped large or whole baby mushrooms along with the peppers.
- Green beans – Add roughly chopped green beans along with the peppers.
- Remove the tough stalks and shred the kale before adding it in place of the spinach or at the same time if using both.
- Sun-dried tomatoes – add them in with the spinach.
- Add the chopped spring onions at the same time as the spinach, or sprinkle them on top at the end for some crunch.
Is it possible to make a vegetarian version?
Absolutely! Replace the chicken with tofu or quorn, or roast some butternut squash or sweet potato and add that instead (or in addition!).
Substitute vegetable stock for the chicken stock.
You can omit the chorizo or replace it with veggie chorizo or regular vegetarian sausage. If I’m not using chorizo or substituting vegetarian sausage, I like to combine a teaspoon of smoked paprika with the Cajun spice to get that smoky sweetness.
Can I make it gluten free?
Yes, you can use gluten-free pasta and stock. Make sure your chorizo is gluten free as well. It usually is, but it’s always a good idea to double-check.
What kind of pasta is best for One-Pot Pasta?
I use rigatoni, but any large shaped pasta will do. Spiralli, fusilli, and penne are all excellent choices.
Is Creole Seasoning The Same As Cajun Seasoning?
Cajun seasoning and creole seasoning are similar but not the same. Creole seasoning is less spicy than cajun seasoning because it contains more paprika. Cajun seasoning contains more cayenne pepper to increase the heat and spiciness. For this recipe, I only recommend using cajun seasoning. You can use either store-bought or homemade cajun seasoning.
Is Cajun Pasta Spicy?
No, not at all. If you want to make this pasta spicy, add a lot of cajun seasoning, but it’s mostly made up of garlic, pepper, cayenne pepper, onion, and salt. The combination produces a smokey but not particularly spicy flavor. The smokey flavor complements the alfredo sauce perfectly, and the alfredo also tames any spice that the cajun seasoning may bring to the dish.
What Does Cajun Taste Like?
Cajun seasoning has a smoky, garlicky, and peppery flavor. It’s a little spicy, and it’s great for pastas or grilling with burgers.
This one-pot cajun chicken pasta takes it to the next level with the addition of Andouille sausage. You can omit it if you prefer, but I think it adds a lot of flavor to this dish.
How To Make Dairy-Free Creamy Pasta?
Coconut cream is my secret to making a dairy-free and creamy pasta sauce. It has a mild coconut flavor and a rich and creamy texture, similar to heavy cream. It’s the perfect way to temper the heat in this creamy cajun chicken pasta.
How Do You Make Creamy Cajun Sauce?
You can make a creamy cajun sauce with a variety of ingredients. Creamy Cajun sauce is made with cream cheese, chicken broth, and parmesan cheese in this recipe. However, some recipes make the sauce with heavy cream, half and half, or milk. This recipe is my favorite because it makes a creamy cajun chicken pasta penne in one pot.
Can I make it ahead?
This one-pot pasta, like most pasta recipes, tastes best when eaten right away. You can, however, prepare it ahead of time if you wish. Alternatively, you can save any leftovers and reheat them the following day (it makes great lunch leftovers). If you do, make the pasta, let it cool, then cover and refrigerate it.
How To Reheat?
I recommend one of two methods for reheating:
Add a splash of water, cover, and reheat on high until piping hot all the way through.
Alternatively, transfer to a baking dish, add a splash of water, and top with a large handful of cheese. Then cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes at 180C/350F. For the last 10 minutes, remove the foil.
It’s a good idea to add a splash of water because pasta will absorb liquid as it cools. When you come to reheat it, the water will loosen things up a little.
If you prefer, you could add a splash of stock or passata mixed with a bit of water instead, but I find it easier to go with a splash of water – you won’t water down any of the flavors as long as you add no more than 80ml (a third of a cup) to the entire dish.
I don’t like to reheat this one in a pan because it’s difficult to get it to heat through evenly without stirring – and stirring the pasta when it’s cold causes it to break up too much.
What Do You Serve With Cajun Pasta?
This One Pot Creamy Cajun Chicken Alfredo contains protein, carbohydrates, and vegetables all in one dish, but if you want to serve more than just this pasta, I have some great suggestions. A simple salad (even a grocery store bag salad) will add more veggies to the meal and go well with this creamy dish. A fruit salad or even more vegetables to counteract the warmth of the pasta! Asparagus, carrots, and brussels sprouts are always welcome additions to any meal. If you don’t mind the carbs, my husband enjoys this with garlic bread!
MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES:
- 2 cups of your favorite pasta
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 grilled fresh tomatoes
- fresh chopped parsley
- parmesan cheese
- cream cheese ( to taste )
- 1 tsp herbes de provence
- 1 tbsp of butter
- 1 yellow onion
- first of all cook your pasta on high heat in a salty water according to the package instructions.
- Secondly in a medium sauce pan drizzle your extra virgin olive oil along with the butter and heat until well melted together.
- Then add the diced onion and cook for aprox 5 min.
- next add your diced cajun marinated chicken breasts ( cubes ) to the pan and cook for another 5 minutes or Cook until the chicken is no longer pink and is cooked through.
- after that add the grilled tomatoes, season everything with salt and pepper.
- once seasoned add your cooked pasta right away and stir everything gently.
- add your cream cheese at the end and mix everything. then garnish with some chopped parsley on top and grate some good parmesan cheese on top of everything. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving Calories 480Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 840mgCarbohydrates 50gFiber 4gSugar 0gProtein 35g