Parmesan Crusted Chicken – Crispy, golden parmesan-crusted chicken breasts taste like schnitzel without the carb-laden guilt! Methods for using an oven and an air fryer are given! This meal is a fantastic low carb, Keto, and gluten free dish. Skinless and boneless chicken breasts are dipped in a flavorful egg wash before being coated in a Parmesan mixture for the ultimate flavor explosion. Chicken breasts are split and sliced into smaller cutlets before being coated in a delicious parmesan and panko bread crumb coating and pan-fried till golden brown and crunchy. This is a delicious and interesting way to cook normally boring chicken! It just takes 5 ingredients and 10 minutes to make! On the inside, there’s juicy chicken, and on the exterior, there’s a fantastic, crunchy golden crust. For the ultimate gluten-free, low-carb dinner, serve with smooth cauliflower mash and a sprinkle of browned butter!
Parmesan Crusted Chicken:
This parmesan coated chicken, tender on the inside and super crispy on the exterior, has to find its way into your dinner table/weekly meal plan as soon as possible! The low-carb and keto solution to your schnitzel-loving prayers, ready in under 10 minutes. With only 1g of net carbohydrates per dish, this chicken supper is a definite winner (insert applause).
This delicious crust has my heart! This chicken dish is a family favorite, packed with the natural flavor of parmesan and properly seasoned chicken with a wonderful Italian edge. The kids adore it, and the hubby devours it… It tastes like it came from a high-end Italian restaurant.
There is no flour and no breadcrumbs in this recipe, so it is completely gluten free.
Even non-low-carbohydrate eaters like Parmesan Crusted Chicken! They won’t know the difference if you serve it with spaghetti or mashed potatoes.
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts: Begin with two bigger chicken breasts that will be divided through their thickness, resulting in four smaller, thinner parts that will cook faster.
- Because olive oil is used for frying, it should be regular refined rather than extra virgin to survive high temperatures.
- All-purpose flour: This dry foundation layer aids in the adhesion of the eggs to the chicken.
- Eggs: This second layer aids in the adhesion of the parmesan and bread crumbs.
- Italian seasoning: A lovely herbaceous addition to the dish that provides a touch of additional flavor. You may also use 1/2 teaspoon basil, 1/2 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, and 1/2 teaspoon marjoram.
- Garlic powder: I prefer to use dried garlic powder in this recipe since fresh garlic would burn and become harsh after cooking in the skillet for so long.
- Panko bread crumbs: I definitely suggest panko bread crumbs here, as opposed to regular bread crumbs. They produce a crisper end product. They are usually found near the bread crumbs or in the Asian foods section of the grocery store.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Lemon wedges: This vibrant finishing touch will delight you. Just add it right before eating to avoid softening the crunchy exterior.
How To Make Parmesan Crusted Chicken?
- Cut chicken breasts in half to make them thinner without crushing them, allowing them to cook quickly.
- To begin the flavor-romance, season with Italian seasoning, but use whatever you have on hand — just make sure you like it.
- Dip in a garlicky egg wash: real garlic is preferable, but garlic powder may be substituted. 1 teaspoon is plenty.
- Coat in a combination of parmesan and almond flour.
- Fry for 4 minutes on each side, or until crispy and golden. Cook in a combination of olive oil and butter. You can utilize one or both at the same time, as we usually do. The butter/oil combination produces great golden-crust results for me.
- To avoid the cheese from burning and leaving you with undercooked chicken on the interior, raise the temperature to medium-high.
In minutes, you’ll have a delicious meal!
Secret Of The Best Parmesan Crusted Chicken:
Pounding the chicken breasts to an even 1/4-inch thickness tenderizes the flesh and guarantees uniform cooking; and, second, a three-step breading process ensures that the coating clings to the meat while it cooks, resulting in a crispy exterior and juicy inside every time. Fresh herbs are entirely optional; use whatever you have on hand, or none at all.
Tips And Tricks:
- If you use thicker chicken pieces, the exterior will burn by the time the interior is cooked thoroughly.
- For the best flavor, use high-quality Parmigiano Reggiano. Avoid pre-shredded parmesan that has been processed with a powdered coating; it will not melt smoothly.
- Shred the cheese freshly and finely so that it coated and melts evenly.
- Using an instant read thermometer, check the internal temperature of the chicken.
- Aim for 165°F; any higher and the chicken breasts will dry out.
- Cook the chicken in two batches to ensure that it cooks evenly and browns evenly.
Air Fryer Technique:
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius).
- Spray olive oil spray all over uncooked crumbed chicken.
- Place two chicken breasts in a single layer in the air fryer basket. 7 minutes in the oven
- Flip the chicken breasts over and continue to air fry for 3-4 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F (74°C).
- Repeat with the remaining chicken breasts.
Is It Possible To Bake It?
You may bake this chicken, but it will not be as golden brown and delicious. Here’s how it’s done:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Prepare the chicken.
- Place the chicken on a wire rack over a rimmed baking sheet.
- Drizzle gently with olive oil or spray with olive oil cooking spray to coat the chicken.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the middle registers 165 degrees in the thickest section.
To Prepare Ahead Of Time:
If you have time, soak the chicken in the egg wash overnight for a richer flavor. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes before cooking to allow the chill to dissipate. When you make the Parmesan Crusted Chicken the day before, it tastes even better.
- Use a cheese combination like parmesan and Romano.
- Broil the cooked cutlets briefly on a sheet pan with a piece of provolone or mozzarella.
- Substitute fresh herbs like oregano or parsley for the dry Italian spice.
- Combine the parmesan panko and lemon zest in a bowl.
- Serve alongside a dipping sauce, such as marinara.
- Fill a sub sandwich with the mixture.
What to Serve With Parmesan Crusted Chicken?
Cauliflower mash, zucchini noodles, creamy broccoli, garlic mushrooms, cauliflower rice, sautéed green beans, steaming veggies, or roasted veggies are all low-carb alternatives.
Serve with mashed potatoes, spaghetti, rice, garlic bread, scalloped potatoes, roasted carrots, or roasted sweet potatoes if you’re a carbohydrate fan. This dish can also be made with breadcrumbs.
MORE DELICIOIUS RECIPES HERE:
- Use In Breading:
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup seasoned Italian bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, freshly grated
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh herbs, coarsely chopped, such as thyme, parsley, chives or rosemary
- For Chicken:
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts , pounded 1/4" thick*
- seasoned with salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- To serve, cut lemon wedges
Assemble three large shallow bowls in a line. In the first bowl, combine the flour; in the second, combine the eggs; and in the third, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and chopped fresh herbs.
Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper to taste. Dredge the first chicken breast in the flour and shake off the excess, leaving only a light coating. After that, dip the chicken into the egg mixture and flip to coat evenly, allowing any extra egg to fall off. Finally, dredge the chicken in the bread crumb mixture, rotating several times to coat thoroughly. Place the breaded chicken on a dish and continue until all of the chicken breasts have been breaded.
In a large sauté pan over medium heat, heat the oil. When the oil is heated, add the chicken breasts to the pan and fry for 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown on the first side. Cook for another 2-3 minutes on the other side. Serve right away with lemon wedges.
After 3 minutes of cooking, give your chicken a little press with a spatula to see whether it's brown on the bottom. Use nonstick tongs to lift a corner of the breast to see if it moves or slides in the oil. If it's golden, turn it over and do it again.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 530Total Fat 24gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 17gCholesterol 202mgSodium 763mgCarbohydrates 29gFiber 2gSugar 2gProtein 48g