Southern Baked Mac and Cheese – With a gorgeous white creamy cheese sauce and a buttery breadcrumb coating, this is still the greatest Baked Mac & Cheese I’ve ever tasted. Every Thanksgiving and Christmas, this is THE Macaroni Cheese dish to make!
This Easy Southern Style Baked Mac & Cheese is the greatest mac and cheese for any night of the week, any occasion. A few of eggs, loads of cheese, and a pinch of spice are the key ingredients in this simple, quick, and delicious cheesy mac. Southern flavor, creamy pasta, and cheese are all heaped onto every bite. It’s the creamiest baked mac and cheese you’ll ever taste, and it’s simple enough to make any night of the week. And, most importantly, it’s really tasty. especially when topped with a generous dusting of basil. Try this meal when you’re craving some cheesy comfort but don’t have much time. In about 60 minutes, it’ll be ready to eat.
This southern mac and cheese is simple to make; here are the instructions:
There are a few differences between a southern-style mac and cheese and a traditional mac and cheese.
First and foremost, it relies on eggs to help bind everything together, making it even easier.
I also like to season mine with a bit Cajun seasoning, which gives it a great little southern bite. This is optional, but we think it adds a lot of flavor.
Finally, there’s the procedure. It’s a lot less complicated than you would think. While the pasta is cooking, mix together the milk, eggs, a teeny-tiny dollop of sour cream, and the Cajun spice. Toss in the pasta and butter until everything is well combined.
This Macaroni and Cheese is about:
This Mac and Cheese recipe has everything you’re looking for in a knock-your-socks-off dish. Macaroni Cheese — cheesy and creamy, with perfectly cooked macaroni (no bloated pasta! ), lots of sauce, and a crisp buttered top (a must in my opinion!).
What Is The Perfect Pasta For Mac And Cheese?
Macaroni, often known as elbow pasta, is a kind of pasta. However, any short pasta will do — penne, ziti, twirls, and so on.
Which Cheese Is Best For Mac And Cheese?
Gruyere and mozzarella cheeses are combined in this dish. There is no debate in my mind that Gruyere has the greatest flavor and melting properties for creamy sauces like this. And mozzarella for stretch — nothing like a nice mozzarella for pulling the cheese!
However, any cheese that melts well, like as cheddar, tasty, Colby, Swiss, Pepper Jack, and Emmental, is good with Mac and Cheese.
Is There No Cream?
NO! You don’t require it. Because of the butter and cheese, this sauce is already rather rich. It’s so rich because of the cream that you can’t eat more than a few spoonful. What a letdown!!!!
After Baking, Broil:
This is crucial. To melt the cheese, bake the mac and cheese for about thirty minutes, then turn the oven to broil. Allow the cheese to begin to bubble, but keep an eye on it since the broiler cooks rapidly.
Add a sprig of basil as soon as you remove it from the broiler, serve, and ENJOY.
Isn’t it simple?
But it’s all so nice. The pasta stays soft and creamy below, while the cheese on top crisps up and becomes somewhat crunchy. Yes, the dish’s edges will produce a cheesy crust that will be absolutely wonderful. Underneath, creamy cheesy pasta, crisp cheese on top, a hint of heat, and fresh basil on top…
That’s pretty much all, guys. Dinner is ready in less an hour, and I think the whole family will appreciate it. Make it for the Kentucky Derby this weekend, then make it for every every celebration that follows.
Tips And Tricks:
- Use freshly grated cheese rather than pre-shredded cheese. They include anti-caking chemicals, which might cause the sauce to become gritty.
- No bloated overcooked macaroni – gently cool macaroni and lightly cover with butter. This prevents the macaroni from absorbing more liquid during baking, resulting in bloated overcooked pasta (hot pasta absorbs liquid quicker, butter forms a thin coating of protection) and less sauce;
- Stir frequently after adding the milk to achieve a silky smooth sauce;
- Plenty of sauce — I want my Mac & Cheese to be saucy, not dry, so it can be sliced like cake!
- Is it possible to prepare Mac and Cheese ahead of time? Most recipes aren’t meant to be made ahead of time, but this one is! Cool the pasta before tossing it with the sauce and sprinkling it with breadcrumbs. Cool, then refrigerate or freeze until ready to bake the next day.
- How long can you keep macaroni and cheese in the fridge? This Macaroni Cheese dish will keep in the fridge for 3 to 5 days. Because there isn’t enough sauce, most won’t store well, and the sauce will be absorbed by the pasta, leaving you with dry, sauce less spaghetti.
- Freezing? Yes! Assemble it, let it cool, and then freeze it. Thaw, then bake according to the instructions on the day of the event.
- Are there any extras? This dish is delicious on its own, but there are a plethora of add-in possibilities. Add shredded chicken, sautéed onion and bell peppers/capsicum, spicy sauce (for heat! ), and your favorite dried herbs.
What to serve alongside Baked Macaroni and Cheese:
Mac & cheese is filling enough to be a dinner on its own, especially when paired with a simple green salad or veggie side. Nothing too heavy because Macaroni Cheese is already quite rich!
It goes well with almost any non-Asian main meal as a side dish. From Roast Chicken to Crispy Garlic Chicken Thighs, the only item I wouldn’t serve with Mac & Cheese is a light summer main like Tuna Tartare — there’s just too much difference.
And, of course, there are the joyous gatherings! Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter – with a big Roast Turkey or your Herb & Garlic Butter Slathered Turkey Breast with unbelievably Crispy Crackling, or your Prime Rib that’s absolutely blushing pink all the way through, you’ll want to cry.
Without this Mac and Cheese, the holidays would be incomplete!!
MORE DELICIOIUS RECIPES HERE:
- 1 pound pasta (short-cut)
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 big beaten eggs
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 2 – 3 tbsp. Cajun seasoning (optional)
- 2 tbsps. butter
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 cups Colby Jack cheese, shredded
- basil or parsley, fresh basil or parsley, fresh basil or parsley, fresh basil or parsley,
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
A big saucepan of salted water should be brought to a boil. Cook the pasta until it is al dente, as directed on the box. Drain.
Meanwhile, whisk together the milk, eggs, sour cream, Cajun spice (or 1/2 teaspoon salt), and 1 teaspoon pepper in a large mixing dish. Combine the macaroni, butter, cheddar cheese, and 2 cups Colby Jack cheese in a large mixing bowl. Fill a 9x13 inch baking dish halfway with pasta and cover with foil.
Remove the foil after 25 minutes and top with the remaining Colby Jack cheese. Return to the oven for a final 10 minutes of baking, or until the cheese has melted. Switch the oven to broil and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the top is just a bit crusty. WATCH VERY CAREFULLY.
Serve the mac and cheese with fresh herbs and black pepper right away. ENJOY
Microwave till warm, then brush with oil (or butter) and crisp under the grill or broiler.