- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- rump roast or 3-4 pound chuck roast
- 1 big chopped onion or 2 tiny onions
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced into 2 "fragments
- 2 celery stalks, chopped into 11/2 "fragments
- baby potatoes, 1 pound
- 3 cups beef broth (or more if necessary)
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon of rosemary
- 1/2 tbsp. thyme
- 1 leaf of bay
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
Season the roast with salt and pepper.
1 tablespoon olive oil, heated over medium-high heat in a large Dutch oven Sear the roast for 4 minutes on each side, or until browned, using additional oil if necessary.
Surround the roast with onions. Combine the broth, rosemary, garlic, and thyme in a mixing bowl. Pour the sauce over the roast. Lastly, add the bay leaf.
On the burner, bring to a low simmer over medium-high heat. Cover and bake in the oven for 2 hours after the broth is simmering.
Add the potatoes, carrots, and celery to the roast and bake for another 2 hours (for a 4lb roast) or until fork-tender.
Bay leaf should be discarded. With a fork, gently pull the meat into large chunks or slice it into thick slices. Serve alongside the liquids (or make gravy below if desired).